Celebrate National Bike Month
- Published: May 4, 2010
Yellow Springs and Miami Township are promoting May as National Bike Month, which was started in 1956 by the League of American Bicyclists to raise awareness of bicycle-related issues. Local Bike Month events are co-sponsored by the Village of Yellow Springs, Miami Township and the Yellow Springs Chamber of Commerce.
To celebrate Bike Month, several events have been planned:
- Bike to Worship Weekend, Friday, May 7–Sunday, May 9. Ride your bike to church, meeting, synagogue.
- Mills Lawn School Safety Rides, Monday, May 10 & Tuesday, May 11. Special group rides for the 3rd and 4th grades to teach safe riding. Led by YSPD with assistance from MTFR.
- National Bike to Work Week, May 10–14.
- National Bike to Work/School Day, Friday, May 15.
- Bike & Shop, Sunday, May 16. Ride your bike downtown and shop locally. On-street parking for bikes will be available.
- Mountain Bike Day at John Bryan, Tuesday, May 18. Did you know that John Bryan State Park has almost 10 miles of mountain biking trails? Bring your mountain bike and bike helmet for a fun, at-your-own-pace ride.
- Tour of the Township Road Race, Saturday, May 22, 10 a.m. Watch the pros race Tour de France-style around Miami Township. The race starts and ends in front of MTFR on Corry Street. For a good viewing spot, watch the riders climb the hill on Bryan Park Road.
- Family Bike Day, Sunday, May 30. Take the family for a bike ride. Take in a movie, go for a picnic or use your bike to do something special.
For more information, contact Colin Altman at 767-7842.