The new Grinnell Mill
- Published: November 15, 2010
The Grinnell Mill is bursting with local history, and now residents have the opportunity to take it all in. Chris Mucher kicked off the restored Mill’s inaugural tour last Sunday afternoon. As the tour progressed, it was clear the Mill had been through a lot in its two hundred years in Yellow Springs.
The Moody family built the foundations in 1811, but the mill burnt to the ground shortly thereafter. The next building went up in 1821. The Grinnell family finally bought the mill in 1864, owning it until 1948. Antioch College bought the Mill and incorporated it into the Glen Helen Nature Preserve.
Jim Hammond decided to rebuild the Mill for the sake of historical preservation, and with the help of ample funds and volunteers, brought the Mill to its current state. In previous centuries, the Mill ground up corn and wheat for farmers, powered by the Little Miami River. Now, it is a historic building for the public’s touring pleasure. Anyone who is interested in viewing the Mill should stop by when it is open to the public: Saturdays and Sundays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.