Blacks in Yellow Springs 2021 walking tour season ends
- Published: September 14, 2021
The 365 Project recently concluded its 2021 “Blacks in Yellow Springs” walking tour season with “The African American History of Yellow Springs Schools.”
Participants endured 90-degree weather and were led by Yellow Springs High School senior Malaya Booth on a route that moved through time from the early 1800s to the present. Booth and participants are pictured in front of the building that formerly housed the South School, located at the southwest corner of High and W. South College Streets.
According to accounts in the Antioch College Archives, this building served as the village’s high school from 1858 to 1873 when the Union School House on Dayton Street opened. Since Ohio schools were then segregated, the South School then served as a school for Black students until 1887, when the schools were desegregated, and all students attended the Union School.
No comments yet for this article.