- Home ▼
- Subscribe ▼
- Advertise ▼
- Submissions ▼
- Calendars ▼
- Business Listings ▼
- Classifieds ▼
- Contact us
According to the USDA’s latest census report, released in 2017, Greene County has no Black-owned farms, out of a total 617. Neither does Clark County, with 742 total farms; while Montgomery County charts nine Black-owned farming ventures, of 782 farms overall.
On Sunday, Jan. 31, 1977, the water tower at Gaunt Park — there was only one then — had blown a seam and released a million gallons of water into the park.
Margaret “Peg” Champney. whose longtime residence in Yellow Springs was closely intertwined with the life and history of the Yellow Springs News, died Tuesday evening, Nov. 5, after a brief illness. She was 87.
A quiet, steady presence at the News throughout her adult life, Champney’s 68-year tenure at the local paper likely qualified her as its longest serving employee.
On Feb. 14, 1919, the Yellow Springs News published a long list on its front page, spanning the entire length of the paper. It was the “Roll of Honor,” a list of all villagers who had served, or were serving, in the Army during the First World War, which had recently ended.
State champions, accomplished coaches, professional players. Yellow Springs has cultivated a roster of significant athletic achievement over the decades.
The list of famous musicians who have lived in Yellow Springs is long.
Exactly 110 years after its first dedication on Memorial Day 1908, a Civil War-era cannon was restored and rededicated by the Yellow Springs Odd Fellow Lodge this weekend.
Antioch College Archivist Scott Sanders will present “Fess Up! The Story of a Yellow Springs Political Dynasty” on Sunday, Nov. 12, 2 p.m., at the Senior Center.
The Yellow Springs Historical Society will host a tour of the village’s Octagon House, Sunday, May 7, 1–5 p.m.
In this edition of Forgotten Springs, we take a look at a place on the Antioch campus whose planned obsolescence reflects a philosophical take on life. The Village was home to a series of Japanese teahouses, built by an Antioch professor who wanted to establish a place of reflection similar to those he enjoyed during the years he spent in Japan.