An Ordinance Approving Ammendments Regarding Village Waste Services
- Published: November 10, 2011
ORDINANCE NO. 2011-27, VILLAGE OF YELLOW SPRINGS, OHIO
Interested persons will take note that the Village Council of Yellow Springs on Monday, November 7, 2011, gave first reading to an ordinance, text to follow.
Council will consider said ordinance for second reading and possible passage into law during a public hearing to begin at 7:10 p.m. Monday, November 21, 2011, in the Bryan Community Center, 100 Dayton Street.
WHEREAS, the Village of Yellow Springs provides solid waste services to properties through the Village; and
WHEREAS, the Village recently awarded a three-year contract with Rumpke for the collection of garbage and other wastes which included changes to the cost of said services; and
WHEREAS, Chapter 1060 of the Codified Ordinances of Yellow Springs, Ohio, outlines the fees the Village will charge its customers for these services; and
WHEREAS, Chapter 1060 needs to be amended to reflect these increased costs.
NOW, THEREFORE, THE COUNCIL OF THE VILLAGE OF YELLOW SPRINGS, OHIO HEREBY ORDAINS THAT:
Section 1. Existing Section 1060.05 (a) Charges of Chapter 1242 of the Codified Ordinances is hereby repealed in its entirety.
Section 2. A new Section 1060.05 (a) is hereby enacted to read as:
(1) The base charges for the collection and disposal of garbage, refuse and/or recyclables shall be in accordance with the following monthly rate schedule. (Note: the reference to quantities below are exclusive of bulk items from residential premises and of the volume of recyclables from recycling bins provided to all customers).
A. Monthly Charge per Volume of Garbage Collected Weekly – Residential Service:
Tier 1 (Not more than 35 Gallons) $10.40 Per Unit/Month
Tier 2 (Not more than 65 Gallons) $11.40 Per Unit/Month
Tier 3 (Not more than 120 Gallons) $12.40 Per Unit/Month
B. Commercial Services – Four Cubic-Yard Container: $55.00 Per Container/Month
The fuel surcharge will be adjusted on a monthly basis based on the Department of Energy’s Energy Information Administration (DOE/EIA) highway diesel price index reading for the Midwest region on the last Monday of the month. A fuel surcharge will be added to the monthly rates in accordance with the fuel charge table attached to Ordinance 2008-07.
C. Recycling: All rates quoted above under Residential Service include weekly curbside recycling collection. Each resident will be provided with one (1) 65-gallon recycling waste wheeler to hold their commingled recyclables.
(2) The Village Manager is authorized to provide for the occasional collection of additional containers from householders and commercial operators on the basis of a “container charge” of one dollar and twenty-five cents ($1.25). The Village Manager shall provide the rules. This shall include a monthly yard waste program.
(3) All surcharges incurred by the Village for the disposal of vehicle tires, appliances containing chlorofluorocarbon, etc., shall be billed at cost.
(4) One-time collections and special services (e.g., large volume users, multiple collections per week, off-street commercial collections, etc.) shall be billed at the costs incurred by the Village plus a 10% processing fee.
(5) The Village shall provide an annual clean-up to customers of the Village Solid Waste Service. The Village Manager shall establish rules and the time of the cleanup. The cost of the service shall be an additional fee, set annually by Council, per account, to be billed separately on the bill or a notice.
Section 3. This ordinance will become effective and in full force effective January 1, 2012.